Friday, February 15, 2019

My book -- Of Frost!


   I don't even know where to begin with this book. I've spent so much time in this world and with these characters that the pages feel like a second home to me. I've learned so much writing this, both emotional lessons from observing my characters and technical skills from the actual writing (and editing) process. Following Evelyn through her journey has been such a rewarding experience.
   On April 29th, 2016, I submitted one of my favourite stories to a site called Inkitt.com, where writers could post stories free-to-read. After I posted, I revised it countless times, among writing other works to post there. It took over a year for the original version of this story to reach 1,000 reads, but only 6 more months for it to reach 2,000. A few months later I reached 3,000, and so on. Seeing such progress and reading both encouraging and critical reviews gave me my first taste of what it would be like if my works were actually published.
   When I was in college studying Bible doctrines, I roomed with two girls who decided they would read my book on Inkitt. One finished it in maybe two days, and the other took a little longer because her schedule didn't allow as much reading time. I remember them talking to each other about a male character I'd written, commenting on his personality, wishing they could find a man like him. Playful, girly banter. I don't think they realized how that inspired me. It was the last shove I needed to take a real step toward publishing. If an unedited character could spark such feelings in my roommates, could it do the same later, in its finished, polished form?
   I decided I wanted to find out. It was mind-blowing to hear them gab about a character who once existed only in my imagination. At that moment, I fell a little harder in love with the entire literary world, with the power of words to make someone laugh, cry, or fall in love themselves.
   I recently had a conversation with a close friend about the power of writing. I can't remember who, but one of us raised the point of how writing can transform a nerdy English lover into a god, able to create worlds and characters, able to spark emotion, able to move, to hurt, to challenge. I think of great writers like J. R. R. Tolkien, C. S. Lewis, J. K. Rowling, who fashioned universes out of nothing, who penned characters who will be adored and hated long after they themselves are gone.
   I suppose what I'm trying to say is that I am honoured to leave my own little mark on the world. I will never reach the literary level of those I've mentioned or others I admire. However, something I think every beginning writer needs to realize is that, despite the quality of other works, despite the fact that the characters and events of your book might have been written before, no one can tell it the same way you will. My book isn't unique. It contains cliches and has been inspired by other things I've seen. But no one can tell the story like I can. No one can arrange it together like I can.
   Your story is unique because YOU are unique. Don't try to replicate someone else's voice. No one has a voice like yours.
   As much as I believe in unique voice, I also urge any beginning writer to take in as much as they can. Gather every piece of advice, every tip, every hack you can. Then interpret it all in your way. Put out the best that you have. You may never reach perfection, but that's not what life is all about anyway. Keep learning. Keep writing.

-AC

BUY OF FROST: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1792841450
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment